“A Trained Dog is a Happy Dog”
Every new puppy needs to know his manners! At the very minimum this means “here” “sit” and “stay”. Try to take just a few minutes each day (at least 15) every day to review the basic commands. This can easily be incorporated into feeding time or when entering or exiting a door. At Beach Doodles, we go above and beyond in breeding and provide the basics in starting your puppy off on the right foot. Your puppy will be begin to learn the basics to pre-school puppy training.
PUPPY TRAINING SCHEDULE:
* Vaccinations will be kept up to date
* Baths, nail trimmings, grooming and ear cleanings will be done weekly
* Health Maintenance
* Worming will be done at the age of 6 weeks. From this point on, every 2 weeks for 3 months
* Birth Chart
Week 1 photos/Videos
Day 3- week 2 photos/Videos
* Neurological Stimulation
* Tactical Stimulation
* Head held down
* Head held erect
* Supine position
* Thermal Stimulation
Week 3- week 5 photos/Videos
* Noises and Scents
Week 6 basic training begins /photos/Videos
* Leash training
* Car rides
* Potty training
* Kennel training go inside kennel and lay down
* Begin Learning “Sit”
* Begin Learning “Down”
* Begin Learning “Stand”
* Begin Learning “Stay”
* Begin Learning “Break” as permission to stop sitting/staying
Week 7 -8 photos/Videos
* First vaccination appointment
* Continue with week 6 training
* Temperament testing
* Give Name/learn name it’s important at Beach Doodles, to match the right name with the puppy’s personality.
* Spade or Neuter
* Basic Learning “Come”
* Public Outings
* Home Again Micro Chipped
Week 9 photos/Videos
* Begin Learning “Leave it”
* Begin Learning “Off” training to respond if jumping up ever occurs
* Begin Learning “Place” – lay down designated open space For example, a mat or bed.
* Begin Stair Training– to be able to go up and down stairs at a reasonable pace
* Preparing your puppy for the A.K.C S.T.A.R. puppy certification once all vaccinations are given!
What age is a puppy fully vaccinated?
Your puppy receives his first vaccination series at the age of 6 weeks. Typically, every three weeks, or when he turns 9 weeks, 12 weeks, 15 weeks and 18 weeks old, you’ll bring him in for booster shots. That means he’s fully vaccinated by the age of 4.5 months. 16 weeks of age.
We take pride and compassion in providing the foundation to your pups great head start! Our puppies are raised in our home and trained by some of the top professionals in the field. For example: Housebroken, obedience trained, and leash trained, among other things.
However, if training is not continued and regularly scheduled, the agreement between breeder and buyer will not been fulfilled.
We follow the guidelines of A.K.C. S.T.A.R. Puppy program. Once your puppy has had all shots permitting, you and your new companion will be well on your way to prepare to take A.K.C. Star Puppy test!
A.K.C. S.T.A.R. Puppy: 20 Steps for Success!!!
The A.K.C S.T.A.R. Puppy program focuses on all the things every puppy and owner need to have a great start together. STAR stands for Socialization, Training, Activity and a Responsible owner and in six weeks of STAR puppy classes, puppies and dogs learn the following behaviors and skills:
- Maintains puppy’s health (vaccines, exams, appears healthy)
- Owner receives Responsible Dog Owner’s Pledge
- Owner describes adequate daily play and exercise plan
- Owner and puppy attend at least 6 classes by an AKC Approved CGC Evaluator
- Owner brings bags to classes for cleaning up after puppy
- Owner has obtained some form of ID for puppy-collar tag, etc.
- Free of aggression toward people during at least 6 weeks of class
- Free of aggression toward other puppies in class
- Tolerates collar or body harness of owner’s choice
- Owner can hug or hold puppy (depending on size)
- Puppy allows owner to take away a treat or toy
PRE-CANINE GOOD CITIZEN® TEST BEHAVIORS:
1. Grooming-Allows owner handling and brief exam (ears, feet)
2. Allows (in any position) petting by a person other than the owner
3. Walks on a Leash-Follows owner on lead in a straight line (15 steps)
4. Walks by other people-Walks on leash past other people 5-ft away
5. Sits on command-Owner may use a food lure
6. Down on command-Owner may use a food lure
7. Comes to owner from 5-ft when name is called
8. Reaction to Distractions-distractions are presented 15-ft away
9. Stay on leash with another person (owner walks 10 steps and returns)
A.K.C S.T.A.R. Puppy prepares pups to move on to Canine Good Citizen training. For example, in STAR, puppies must walk on a leash in a straight line. In C.G.C, the task becomes more advanced with dogs walking in a pattern that includes right and left turns and stops.
The skills in A.K.C. S.T.A.R. Puppy classes are practical and functional. Teaching puppies to tolerate grooming, handling, and basic exams of the ears, feet, and mouth will result in well-mannered puppies that veterinarians are happy to see.
We recommend formal training and most facilities offer all levels, from puppy kindergarten to Canine Good Citizen Certificates. Australian Labradoodles are easily trained and are very quick learners. So often, parents that have very well behaved and good mannered children will have a family pet that is completely out of control. We don’t want to see this happen with our doodles! We want to know that they have the training to keep their minds active and their behavior under control. You can’t imagine the pride an owner feels when his pet is perfectly mannered when taken out in public or when friends come over to visit. The Australian Labradoodle is highly intelligent and extremely easy to train. It is unfortunate if this opportunity is missed!